We had differing opinions as to what this month's Traveling Brown Girls Blog Carnival topic was about. So we are approaching this two ways. Rhonda will identify 5 ways to immerse yourself in your own community. Sharee will identify 5 ways to immerse yourself in another country as a local.
1) Attend an international festival in your community. The 18th Annual Columbia International Festival will be held April 13 & 14, 2013.
2) Take a foreign language at the local community college. Spanish and French are commonly offered.
3) Enjoy the night life at a local dance club that plays variety of music. The Salsa Cabana in Columbia, SC is open on Fridays and Saturdays with a DJ that mixes salsa, merengue, bachata, and reggaeton.
4) Identify restaurants that have authentic international food. In Columbia, SC, the most authentic Italian restaurant is Villa Tronco.
5) Take an international foods cooking class. The McCutchin House on the campus of the University of SC offers various international cuisine cooking classes for the general public.
1) Learn the essential language used by the locals. "Hello", "Good-bye", "Excuse me", "Thank You", "Please", "Where is bathroom?", "How much does this costs?", and "Do you speak English?" are common phrases to learn. You can purchase a beginner's guide at your local AAA.
2) Take the public transportation.
3) Eat where the locals frequent. Often these restaurants will not have an English menu if in non-English speaking country.
4) Make friends with a local.
5) Stay in an apartment and not a hotel. VRBO is an excellent resource.
Just because we're twins, doesn't mean we always think alike!! So how would you interpret the title of this topic?