Search This Blog

Sunday, October 14, 2012

5 Travel Tricks & Tips For Travelistas on the Go

My sister and I are prepping for our trip to Italy in less than 3 weeks, and this topic is so timely.  As we begin to individually pack and take note of the tips provided in our travel brochure with Collette Vacations, we came up with these 5 travel tricks and tips for travelistas on the go!!

#1)  Luggage- know the luggage size and weight requirements.  While many international flights include at least one checked luggage, it is important to know the size and weight requirements.  You can be accessed fees for luggage that exceed requirements or if you have one too many bags.  Please consult with scheduled airline as luggage fees and restrictions vary by carrier and destination.

#2) Clothing & Packing- during the day, a casual dress style and comfortable walking shoe is highly recommended.  You should also dress in layers that may be added or removed as the temperature changes.  It's is also suggested to pack a raincoat, umbrella, and/or waterproof shoes during rainy season.  For special evenings, smart casual attire is preferred. Jeans, shorts and sneakers are not recommended.  A dress and sandals are good options.  Other items to pack outside of clothing are a camera (still photo or video), batteries, recharging equipment (ie..cell phone), a travel alarm, sewing kit, and hand sanitizer.  You should pack in your carry-on any prescription medicine and articles of value. Avoid over packing because you may want to bring home souvenirs or new clothes.

#3) Currency- local currency is needed for meals, gratuities, and small items such as postcards and postage.  If you carry a major credit card or debit card, make sure you contact your credit card company and/or bank, and let them know where you will be traveling so that you can avoid rejection of services.  It is also recommended to to have the retailer charge in the local currency than in US dollars.  A final tip, as related to money, is to obtain local currency money through an ATM machine at the destination rather than through an exchange service at the Airport. Contact your bank for ATM locations at your destination.

#4) Long Flight- it is important that you hydrate and stretch while flying.  Getting up every 2 to 2 1/2 hour is recommended.  Drink plenty of liquids, especially water.

#5) Passport- bring a copy of your passport and other identification.  It should be packed separately from the original, and a copy left at home and a relative and/or friend, along with your itinerary (if known), and an emergency number (ie...accommodation).

Travelistas, do you find these tips helpful?

17 comments:

  1. Number 1 is important especially if you are travelling around Europe with budget airlines. Some of them are so strict that they put your suitcase in a little metal thing and if you cant fit it in there then you pay extra. Plane crazy!

    So which part of Italy are you going to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are going to Rome (2 nights) and Florence (6 nights). We went to Italy & France for the first time in 2009 and loved it. During that trip we went to Rome for about 3 nights, Florence (2 nights), and French Riviera(Cannes) 2 nights.

    We've been reading about the budget airlines being strict on travel. It should be fine on this trip, but not sure about when we go to China in December (3 flights to various cities-Beijing, Shanghai, etc)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! Enjoy Italy and have some gelato for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, am I envious. Off to one of my favorite countries in the world. The history, the art, the food, the men....Mamma mia!

    The good thing about local currency in Europe these days is that it's all the same, so it's not a big deal coming home with Euros in your pocket. Most likely, you'll have occasion to use them in future.

    Your tip to contact your credit card company is really important. I have had charges denied while I was away. And I have never had any problems getting local currency using an ATM while traveling...until I came home to the U.S., and tried to use my German ATM card a few weeks ago (I live in Germany). If I hadn't been among my family, I would've been in a real trick. The bank had given us new ATM cards, but they had forgotten to tell us that the new cards no longer worked outside the European Union. So I was in Washington, DC going from ATM to ATM like a psycho trying to get money, each time getting a different message...well, maybe not...the bottom line message was no money for me. I was hotter than a hornet. So, you are absolutely right. It pays to check with the bank beforehand, even if you've used the card before overseas.

    Lots of great advice. Again, have a glorious time in the Land of the Boot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Shelby. A couple days ago I went ahead and informed my bank of my traveling days and that I will be using my ATM card.

    Did you have trouble using a credit card? Do I have to inform that company as well (Capital One)?

    I'm getting excited by each day that it gets closer. Ciao!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      My best answer is inform everyone. You certainly don't want to be in the middle of a store with your eyes and heart set on something ab-fab and have a credit or debit card meltdown.

      You will have an absolutely heavenly time in Italy, I am sure. It's pretty close to heaven on earth IMHO.

      Ciao, Bella. For men...Ciao, Bello.

      Delete
  6. YAY for Italy! Excited for you! I have gotten caught a few times with overweight carry on bags in Europe, which I think is crazy if I can lift it and put it in the over head bins AND it fits. A not so nice flight attendant even tried to give me grief on the flight about my bag when the flight was half empty...I do pay attention now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that makes me nervous bc I really don't want to check my bags. I'll rather keep up with a carry-on and bring a few clothes items I can easily take to laundry. It also helps to have an identical twin bc we can trade clothes and have a completely different outfit. Hee hee!!

      Delete
  7. Great Tips! Have a wonderful trip looking forward to future posts on your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips!
    A friend of mine who travels a lot by both car and plane got a blood clot and his doctor said it was because he was sitting for long periods without getting up/out enough to stretch. Ever since then, I ALWAYS get up and I DO NOT drink alcohol when I fly.
    Thanks for being a part of the Carnival! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's easy to forget not to move around. Especially if you have a comfy seat or you don't want to disturb the people around you. Yet, very necessary!!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for this excellent & thoughtful post, so full of ideas.. it is helpful & your post motivated me..thank

    ianjohnson

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to do this on a golf blog I own this will be a big help. I love the blogengine platform.

    ReplyDelete